I’ve been interested in conservation shophouses/townhouses for a long time. Can’t even remember when I started but I think it officially morphed into lust when I saw Ong & Ong’s 55 Blair Road. Which is why when I saw that Form magazine has a feature on Joo Chiat’s conservation shophouses in the recent issue (vol 1 2012), I bought it immediately.
The architects on the project featured this time is Diego Molina and Maria Arango, part of the same team that did 55 Blair Road. I have to admit that 51 Joo Chiat Terrace doesn’t inspire lust in my heart the way 55 Blair Road does, but I still enjoyed browsing thru the mag…
55 Blair Road
51 Joo Chiat Terrace
Ong & Ong’s site has a section for the conserved places they did. Have a look. I definitely prefer the combination of ultra modern interiors & conserved facade, rather than retro-listic interiors (potentially spooky!). Plus you would know that I like bright and airy interiors if you have been reading my blog… You can also check out an online 2010 edition of Form magazine that also featured conservation houses HERE (from page 49 onwards).
If you enjoyed this post, you may like to find more ‘inspirations’ from these posts:
- Inspirations: Functional ‘shoebox’ apartments
- Inspirations: The minimalist 5 room HDB
- Inspirations: The Brookvale Park apartment
- Inspirations: The Cambridge Road Inter-Terrace
- Inspirations: The Don Draper apartment
- Inspirations: Arch Daily’s Building of the Year awards 2011
- Inspirations: Some renovations from the H&D site
- Inspirations: Maisonettes featured in Home & Decor magazine
- Inspirations: Conservation houses in Singapore