It seems like Tan Boon Liat Building has a great collection of furniture stores, so I thought to compile a list for would-be furniture hunters. After all, it’s not the most easy to get to building (not until the new MRT station is up anyway), and I know what it’s like to miss a store and then to re-trace your steps (frustrating!). And mostly cos the current building directory majorly sucks, and there is no online directory. You can see the old fashion directory (which is in an obscure corner no less) below:
Ya, super bad right? And it’s not even at eye level!
So 1st question… how do you get there? If you drive, parking is fairly easy. Best direction provided for MRT/bus is:
- From Outram MRT Station: 75, 970
- From Tiong Bahru MRT Station: any bus service except 123A
- Tan Boon Liat Building, 315 Outram Road
- Singapore 169074
Anyhow, so once you arrive, where do you start? I’ll suggest starting from the highest floor and working your way down, the most organised way as seasoned warehouse shoppers would know…
- Level 10: Pomelo (#10-04)
- Level 7: Mountain Teak (#07-02) & The Shop House (#07-03)
- Level 3: Journey East (#03-02), Jehan Gallery (#03-08)
- Level 1: Red House Antiques (#01-04), HuaFu (#01-05), Fair Price Antiques (#01-10)
- Info as accurate as far as I am aware. Some details like opening hours are taken from the store websites.
- This isn’t a complete TBL furniture directory.
- Blurry shots are unintentional. But since I refuse to identify myself and hate to explain why I need to take photos in the stores, the especially blurry ones are mostly due to store assistants who persist in following me around the store (did I mention that it is a pet peeve? Who on earth can shop peacefully when store assistants insist on following you every where? Journey East especially…)
If I missed any major stores or if you spot any errors, do let me know via the comments section.
Pomelo – #10-04
+65 6226 4663
Tue – Fri: 11:00 am-7:00 pm / Sat – Sun: 11:00 am-4:00 pm
My favourite of the lot actually. With the larger floor space, there are more items on display but the location on level 10 isn’t great in terms of the ‘eyeball’ factor. Basically you can’t see it from the carpark looking up, and the building directory is hopeless (if you can find it in the 1st place) so if you don’t know it’s there then you probably can’t find it.
Mountain Teak – #07-02
Tuesday – Sunday (close on Monday) 10:30am – 6:30pm
The Shop House – #07-03
+65 6323 7190
Mon to Sat: 9am to 6pm / Sun: 10.30am to 6.00pm
Journey East – #03-02
+65 6473 1693
Mon to Sat: 11am – 6pm , Sunday & Public Holiday: 11.30am – 6pm
Mix of industrial, expat-ish, outdoor and retro furniture.
See (blur) pics:
Jehan Gallery – #03-08
+65 633 44 333
Mon-Sun: 10:00am – 7:00pm (including Sundays and Public Holidays)
Seems to be ‘the’ place for your carpeting needs. Sorry forgot to take pics. =P
Red House – #01-04 & #06-03 (for the factory outlet)
10:30am to 6:30pm Daily
HuaFu Furniture & Homewares – #01-05
+65 6227 3217 / 6225 0209 / 6222 7119
Mon – Sat: 9.30am – 6.00pm / Sun & PH: 12.00pm – 6.00pm
FairPrice Antique – #01-10
+65 6270 2544
Daily 12noon – 5pm
If you are hungry, I hear that the duck rice in Kew Gardens is nice. Kopi isn’t the best though, so drink at your own risk. Parking is plentiful.
More shopping lists:
- Places to buy mid-modern/vintage/retro furnitures
- Places to buy home accessories and decorations
- Places to buy industrial themed furniture
- Supporting local brands
- Other quick links to stores
- The (unofficial) Tan Boon Liat Building furniture directory